Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Alone in a Crowded Room

Urban areas are the cultural centers of the world--meccas for the arts, music, religion, politics, technology, etc. People flock to cities in the hope of finding better economic opportunities, or perhaps drawn by the hustle and bustle--the vast and diverse population.

And yet, I find that despite the enormous number of residents and commuters--the constant flow of people on sidewalks and streets, and the population density of a small city block that soars 40 stories into the sky--living in the city can be isolating. People tend to create or join "selective communites." These are not dependent on the frequency of encounters/interactions or geographic proximity, but rather made up of people who share an interest.

For example, I have lived in the same apartment for 2 years, and I know the name of only one neighbor on my entire block. Everyday I take the same train and see the same people on the platform, but I've never spoken to any of them. In fact, we don't even acknowledge each other. The friends that I've made over the years claim different connections to me -- we worked together once, we sing together in a chorus, we met in a dance class, we had a friend-of-a-friend connection, etc. I set dates to meet with them--over coffee, for a walk, at a bookstore, to a concert, dinner, but rarely, if ever, do we run into each other by chance, nor do we stop by unannounced.

This leaves little opportunity to keep an eye out for the common welfare of the community. I think it's a little sad and a little ironic. A crowded room of people where no one makes eye contact or acknowledges that there are other people present in the room. I wonder if the suburbs fare any better.

No comments: